RE: TC vs TW

Subject: RE: TC vs TW
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "'David Hailey'" <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 12:58:21 -0700

Ten years ago, the job title of technical communicator was tossed around,
but never caught on. I guess it was too vague or broad or better stated
with other job titles.

Personally, I think that "technical communicator" may be how people can
identify themselves, but that identity can cover many job disciplines.
Technical writer is a job title for the person who primarily produces
technical documentation. A technical communicator can also be a technical
trainer, analyst, or any other person who primarily communicates their
technical work to others.

All of these people do work that is a part of other disciplines, just
because a technical writer does a lot of work that is technical
communication but is not technical writing, does not mean that the technical
writer should require a new job title. Trainers and analysts write and use
non-written communication, should their titles change too?

I don't understand why the battle over this job title keeps rising. What is
wrong with being a technical writer? Writing is the primary purpose of the
job, so writer should be the title.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList