Beyond shampoo (was levels of detail -- are we beyond this?)

Subject: Beyond shampoo (was levels of detail -- are we beyond this?)
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Ken Poshedly" <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:06:10 -0400

On a vaguely related note (instructional, about grooming, but not
intended to be humorous) check out some popular videos on YouTube - just
search for the author Mantic59. He's done a series of videos about
good-ole-fashioned wet shaving for men. You know... with the old safety
razor, badger brush and soap-in-a-cup.

You'd think that would be the kind of thing that nobody (except some
women(*) wondering "Why do they do that stuff?") would want laid out in
instructional videos, but think again. Not only are many boys raised by
single Moms, and never get any instruction about manly grooming, there
are (apparently) lots of men who have grown tired of the overhyped
multi-blade Gillette Fuze This and Turbo-Mach-That and spray-can goop,
while others (hi there) have used electric shavers all our lives. While
many of us pooh-pooh the ladies-spa experience (gives one the
heebie-jeebies, it does), we've had the occasional real barbershop shave
by a pro and wondered if we couldn't duplicate the experience without
paying 18-bucks-plus-tip every day. Mantic59 shows how, and does it
well.

This 54-year-old male appreciated the knowledgeable, straightforward
presentation, the sensible division into well-ordered, and
well-described segments, and the occasional smidgen of humor.

- Kevin (just call me "nick")

(* Guys, even long-married ones still wonder "Why do they do that
stuff?" about a lot that women do in front of the vanity (especially
when we're late for an event), but most of us don't have sufficient
anthropological curiosity to actually do the research...)