RE: How to I get into this field?

Subject: RE: How to I get into this field?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "CL T" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:51:01 -0400

On Behalf Of CL T graced us with:

> When I decided to re-tool my career to Tech Writing specifically, I
did
> what
> some here have suggested.
>
> 1 - Focused on what I knew. In this case, since I was already a
published
> author and a Web Developer, I pushed that knowledge into software
> documentation. I did some freebies, scored a few contract jobs and
> shamelessly promoted myself on job sites and a web portfolio.
>
> 2 - Spoke with several local Tech Writers and Graphic Designers to
> discover
> the best tools to learn. I downloaded trial versions, got books,
learned
> how
> to use the software.
>
> 3 - Joined lists like this and asked a lot of questions. Read,
researched,
> learned.
>
> 4 - Branched out. Hardware, SDK, API, Medical, Financial, etc.

Y'know, just pondering out loud here - your points numbered 2 and 3 made
me think of the suggestions of Dan Kennedy and others, with respect to
starting/expanding a wildly successful business (and it might apply to
starting a techwriting career or business):

Look around at what others are doing... then do something DIFFERENT!

I mean, if you do what others are doing, the way that they are doing it,
using the same tools, the same marketing methods, the same processes,
you'll be just another small fish in a crowded pond.

I guess it's reminiscent of the contrarian philosophy of investment.
Look around at what the majority of investors are doing, and do the
opposite. Buy when they are selling off. Sell when they are in a frenzy
of buying.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/