Re: User-friendly documentation (was: "Button Gravity" and "WarningGravity")

Subject: Re: User-friendly documentation (was: "Button Gravity" and "WarningGravity")
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:47:48 -0500

McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> Anyone on an unfamiliar bus, going to an unfamiliar destination was
> doomed to hang about at the front of the bus, getting flack from driver
> and other passengers for not clearing the aisle and for occupying the
> "Pregnant women and old folks" seats, while desperately trying to see
> through the dirty windshield and discern the street signs and
> addresses... as they slid past in the murk.

Getting back to technical writing, the canonical story about the bus
problem is the reply from the youngster who is asked which stop is the
right one for Thudberry St. "Just watch when I get off, and get off
three stops before that."

Taking a city bus is not always a one-pass algorithm.

Back when bus drivers and subway crew used microphones to announce stop,
some of them were hopelessly inept on microphone technique. "Nghxx shhtp
izz Kshnll Shhwqrr, Kshnll Shhwqrr." That comes from holding the mike
inside the mouth.

It was easier to ride the trains to Kendall Square that had no
announcements. Last time I was there it was a canned announcement more
like "<BONG>Next stop is Kendall Square<BONG>" Sort of like those
grating "emergency" tones on the radio that inform you that you have
just heard an important announcement.

http://www.doctohelp.com