Re: Ever seen a service level agreement for a tech pubs department?

Subject: Re: Ever seen a service level agreement for a tech pubs department?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Milan Davidovic <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:37:26 -0500

Milan Davidovic wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net> wrote:
>> Know the purpose first.
>
> Sounds like good advice; do you have a particular story to go with this advice?
>
> Thanks.

No. I've worked on SLA for IT, but one for TW sounds like a mistake
unless, as I suggested, the TW department is really being clobbered by
uncontrollable outside requests. The usual method for handling those
requests is simply to escalate the problem to the executive in charge of
the two departments--the one being clobbered and the one clobbering.

IT has the difficulty that they often have an interface to the entire
customer base, or at least the entire company, and it's reasonable to be
able to point the clueless user to a policy instead of arguing ten
minutes with each one about why you aren't going to unblock his favorite
porn site, or whatever.

I suspect that a request for an SLA for TW indicates a severe management
problem, but I don't know how to suggest that idea without getting
caught in the gears that are grinding the problem.

http://www.doctohelp.com