Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual

Subject: Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:53:30 -0700

Char James-Tanny wrote:
> As more and more companies go to content management and components,
> this feeling will have to be addressed...and folks will have to let it
> go.

An example of collaborative authoring is the FLOSS Manuals project.
As Janet Swisher has pointed out, it allows 'anyone' to register and
participate, which includes creating and editing content pretty much
wherever one wishes.
Since this is a non-paid project, they maintain versions of each chapter
with names of those responsible for each revision. A contributor can
view the version they worked on, and save it for posterity, if they wish.

I worked on several chapters in the Firefox manual, but none of them are
exclusively mine.
I'll still claim credit for having contributed.

heh- still one of the best ways to learn about a software is to document it!

cheers
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen