Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual

Subject: Re: Hey! She messed with *my* manual
From: Janet Swisher <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:05:51 -0500

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net> wrote:

> Char James-Tanny wrote:
>> As more and more companies go to content management and components,
>> this feeling will have to be addressed...and folks will have to let it
>> go.
>>

> An example of collaborative authoring is the FLOSS Manuals project.
> As Janet Swisher has pointed out, it allows 'anyone' to register and
> participate, which includes creating and editing content pretty much
> wherever one wishes.

Thanks for the plug :-)

I should point out that while anybody can contribute, each "book" has
a maintainer who decides what gets "published". So it isn't a
free-for-all like Wikipedia.

> Since this is a non-paid project, they maintain versions of each chapter
> with names of those responsible for each revision. A contributor can
> view the version they worked on, and save it for posterity, if they wish.
>
> I worked on several chapters in the Firefox manual, but none of them are
> exclusively mine.
> I'll still claim credit for having contributed.

And anybody who really cares what you did and didn't do can look at
the history and the diffs.

--
Visit my blog at: http://www.janetswisher.com

http://www.doctohelp.com