RE: Which style to use in this case

Subject: RE: Which style to use in this case
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:36:25 -0400

Mike Starr sez:

> In most cases, every action can be accomplished by choosing a
> menu item while toolbars often have only a limited subset of
> the available actions. I always use the menu items and then
> elsewhere I put in a table that itemizes the buttons on the
> toolbar with their equivalent menu items.

Madcap Flare puts a lot of functionality onto toolbars. A lot.
It's also how they document their tool - by reference to the functions
as found in toolbars.
I end up doing tasks that I discovered for myself via the menus, but
tasks that I had to look up via the toolbars... when I can't bypass both
by right-clicking something "obvious".

I kinda wish the developers of Flare would include in the hover-text of
all tool-bar buttons the paths to the menu equivalents.

When I go looking in the menus for infrequently-used operations, that I
vaguely recall using two months ago, I've been known to come up short.

Of course, we still use Microsoft Office 2003 here at the orifice, so
we're entirely lacking experience with ribbons and tapes and
new-fangled-ish interface styles, which might be the preferred mind-set
in future. Not sure where Flare lies in that continuum.

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com