RE: telecommute

Subject: RE: telecommute
From: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
To: "Sarah Stegall" <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:27:10 -0400

> Unfortunately no matter how logical and sensible the reasons for
> telecommuting may be, even companies who are innovative and tech-savvy
shy
> away from it. My company makes network appliances; we're wired to the
max
> with high-bandwidth access from anywhere. Yet this very week,
management
> sent out a memo reminding us that telecommuting is the exception, not
the
> rule. This applies to tech writers like me, even though at least half
of
> my work is done better from home, where there are no distractions.
Alas,
> what I call "distractions", management tends to call "networking",
> "meeting time" and "face time". And management also thinks it is
> demoralizing for those who come to work to find empty cubicles
everywhere.
> So the real, actual needs of the workforce (telecommuting), which
would
> probably result in greater productivity, must give way to the
insecurities
> and neuroses of management.

Agreed. I am lucky enough to telecommute one day a week. No one offered
it to me. I saw others doing it and I had to make a business case for
it. Others in my company do it more often, but some of these people say
they struggle for recognition. I think if a company is begun on the
principal of the virtual office, telecommuting will be an everyday
thing. Otherwise, not so much.
Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender by telephone or email reply.

http://www.doctohelp.com