UI designer job

Subject: UI designer job
From: "Crimmin, Peter" <Peter -dot- Crimmin -at- nuance -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:23:08 -0500

[resending post in plain text format]

There's a job available at my company, and we thought some technical
writers might have the qualifications. You must have Spanish/English
proficiency.

The hiring group is busy. You get a lot of exposure to customers, you
many iterations of application lifecycles. There are unique aspects to
speech applications where you can build expertise. For example,
usability studies and the tuning process.

Description is pasted below. Contact me if you want an inside referral.

=============================
JOB DESCRIPTION:

Title: User Interface Designer
Location: Burlington, MA
Type: Fulltime
Job Number: 1-4683

Company Description:

Nuance is the leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for
businesses and consumers around the world. Our technologies,
applications and services make the user experience more compelling by
transforming the way people interact with information and how they
create, share and use documents. Every day, millions of users and
thousands of businesses, experience Nuance by calling directory
assistance, getting account information, dictating patient records,
telling a navigation system their destination, or digitally reproducing
documents that can be shared and searched. Making each of those
experiences productive and compelling is what Nuance is all about.

The Professional Services (PS) group allows Nuance to deliver end-to-end
speech solutions and system integration for speech-enabled customer care
in key vertical markets including financial services,
telecommunications, healthcare, utilities and government. The
applications we design and deploy are used by millions of average
consumers every day, who use speech to conduct their personal business
within these verticals.

When you join Nuance PS, you'll be joining an interdisciplinary,
results-oriented, customer-focused consulting team that large
organizations trust to define their callers' experience. We are
comprised of speech technology scientists, application developers, user
interface designers, project managers, business analysts, systems
integrators and systems architects. We provide cutting-edge,
user-centered discovery, design, development, optimization and
integration services on customer interaction applications. We do this by
discovering and optimizing the caller's experience, while maximizing our
customer's technology investment and goals, and adhering to their
rigorous schedules.

As a contributing member of Nuance, you will work within a dynamic team
environment to develop, support, market and sell our award-winning
software applications. We offer competitive compensation packages;
including stock options, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401(k), full
health and welfare benefits and a challenging technical but casual work
environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team that operates
worldwide (Europe, US, APAC). Be a part of our fast growing track of
continuing success.

Responsibilities:

As a User Interface Designer, you will be designing the caller
experience primarily for speech-enabled applications. You will work on a
multi-disciplinary team of colleagues and domain experts to discover
user requirements, and to match these needs against customer goals.
Amongst other activities, you will validate functionality choices,
design call flows, script the dialogues, define grammars, and direct
voice talents in the recording studio. You'll perform Usability Testing
with consumers to further refine functionality and design choices. As a
UI Designer, you will need to learn about caller populations, and work
effectively with customers on each engagement, while simultaneously
working toward the customer's financial goals and remaining the
authority on best practices in user-centered design. Your successes will
be measured both by business targets you reach or surpass, your
relationships with customers, partners, and the team, and the positive
impression your designs leave in the minds of callers.

Responsibilities:

* Discover and analyze requirements from both the customer's and the
caller's perspective

* Create effective speech user interface designs including call flow,
dialogues, functional logic, and prompts to match the established
requirements

* Assist in implementing these designs, interacting with developers,
directing voice talents, and performing usability tests

* Analyze performance of the user interface in the field with regards to
performance metrics and caller experience, and recommend specific
changes to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.

* Use your experience on your specific projects to augment our evolving
body of best practices.

* Represent our UI approach and philosophy to customers.

Job Requirements:

* minimum 3-5 years industry experience in user-centered design

* BS or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, product
interface design, computer science, software design, or a similar degree

* Strong analytical skills

* English and Spanish fluency is a strong plus, both written and spoken.

* Strong presentation skills

* Willingness to travel

* Creativity and a sense of fun

* Be able to work with a minimum amount of direct supervision

* Strong Microsoft Windows skills, including MS Office

http://www.doctohelp.com/