Re: in search for better tools

Subject: Re: in search for better tools
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:58:30 -0500

I don't know if my perception of the issue is the same as Robert's, but if I
install a program on my computer that I don't expect to be accessing the net and
the first time I launch it or use a particular feature (such as help) my
firewall pops up a notice that it's trying to access, I'm likely to hit the
button to block it. There goes any data that the person who programmed it to
send data was hoping to get, regardless of whether it's individual or
aggregated, the mere attempt to access without asking is what will trigger my
response. And if I'm in a particularly paranoid or grumpy mood the day that
happens, I may even hit the button that tells my firewall to phone home to its
maker and report the program that tried to access without asking me for
permission as malware, then remove it. If the program is trialware, there goes
a sale, and I don't know how many reports like this a program has to trigger
before it goes on the firewall maker's list of PUPs.

Both of these outcomes could be avoided if the bleeping program just told me on
install that its help was going to send data back to its maker and let me click
a button that said "ok, go ahead," or "no way." I suppose everyone who produces
software just has to decide how much of an issue this is for them.

Gene Kim-Eng