Re: Editing a PDF

Subject: Re: Editing a PDF
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:30:20 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
> a) Is there a way I could have done the edit in Acrobat?

There is no way to make a PDF that behaves the way you describe into an easily
editable document. My workaround for this situation would be to type the
revised text, either a single line or the entire paragraph, into a new source
file with matching formatting, PDF it and then drop a white (or whatever color
the background of the existing PDF is) over the offending text and paste the
revised text from the new PDF over it.

> b) Is there a way I could persuade Acrobat or Illustrator to not shrink the
> second page?
>
> c) Is modern Illustrator any better at this than the ancient Illustrator CS
> that I've got?
>
> HINT: A convincing option "c" would help me to justifying an upgrade...
> ahem...

The only real solution to this situation is prevention. There always needs to
be someone else who knows where source files are and has access to them in a
pinch. Make a lot of noise about how hard it was to edit this file and about
the unavoidable flaws in the edited file, and don't even suggest to anyone that
there might be a way to make it easier to do if this happens again. Devising a
more elegant work-around only encourages the continuation of the process flaws
that allowed this situation to happen in the first place.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/