Re: Article: "EXCLUSIVE: Help Wanted -- 'Arrogant Americans' Need NotApply"

Subject: Re: Article: "EXCLUSIVE: Help Wanted -- 'Arrogant Americans' Need NotApply"
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:36:19 +0200

Ken,

While I have not traveled as widely as you have, I've been throughout
the continental U.S. and Mexico and I live in Ukraine these days. I
also lived for six months in a hostel in Los Angeles that was
frequented by many international travelers. In those travels, I have
encountered people from many countries and a wide variety of age and
background.

Yes, there are some Americans who are arrogant...just as there are
others who are as well.

For example, I believe a higher percentage of French travelers have
this particular malady than do Americans. (And yes, of course there
are many very wonderful non-arrogant French people). I have spoken
with numerous people in Mexico in the tourist industry about the "ugly
American" stereotype, and more often than not they have volunteered
their opinion that French travelers--at least those who go to
Mexico--are often far worse.

I have personally met some who were incredibly arrogant, and some that
were among the nicest people I have ever encountered...just as with
Americans abroad.

Here in Ukraine, Americans as individuals generally are well regarded.
Of course, that is often a matter of attitude on the part of the
American involved.

There are always those who are ignorant and who automatically assume
their culture is superior to all others in every conceivable respect.
Because Americans are numerous and are often poorly educated regarding
other cultures, though, there are many who may not be as well equipped
to appreciate the cultures they may visit.

I have noticed over the last thirty years, though, that the situation
seems to have improved markedly.

David

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com