Re: "Is exceeded" acceptable grammar?

Subject: Re: "Is exceeded" acceptable grammar?
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:36:48 -0500

Hi, Patty :-)

> Wonder if anyone would be willing to chime in and help settle a friendly
> argument here. One of my project managers enjoys catching tech writers
> making grammar errors.
>
> What is your opinion of the following sentence: "The application stops
> the Windows Installer service when the spool limit is exceeded."
>
> The PM believes I should have said "was exceeded".

If you change it to "The application stopped...", then "was exceeded"
would be correct. Otherwise, it's fine as is.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
Microsoft Help MVP since 2002
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2010
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com