RE: Unsubstantiated and/or false allegations (was RE: Nobodyreviewed the manuals)

Subject: RE: Unsubstantiated and/or false allegations (was RE: Nobodyreviewed the manuals)
From: "Sarah Stegall" <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:48:21 -0700

There may be some rig bosses willing to put not just their jobs but their careers on the line by facing down a boss. I don't think there are that many. If the rig boss had felt safety was being compromised, maybe he'd have pushed back harder. But unless he KNEW the rig would blow and take eleven men with it, he'd more likely follow the procedure hardwired into all primates: submit to the louder voice of the alpha male.

As technical writers, we appeal to the intellects of our readers. I think that blinds us to the fact that 95% of human behavior is instinctive, unconscious, and reactionary. Written documentation can only go so far; we're fighting millions of years of evolution here.

We do what we can. That's all we can do. While we may strive to improve procedures and policies, we have to remember to account for human nature.

Sarah