Re: Editorial review board - when to edit?

Subject: Re: Editorial review board - when to edit?
From: Brad Whittington <brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Kieran Sullivan <ksullivan -at- tssg -dot- org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:55:26 -0500

I think you've misunderstood the reason for the earlier reviews. It
has nothing to do with creating coherent, camera-ready copy, which any
decent writer can do, and everything to do with accomplishing the
goals of the client.

There are hundreds of ways to write about any given topic coherently.
The point of the progressive review is to properly identify the the
target audience, to establish the needs and pain points of that
demographic, and to verify that the copy is consistent with the
messaging of the client.

There are several reasons for writing white papers. Most of my clients
use white papers for lead generation. I need to know who they are
targeting, which could be anybody from the CTO, CFO, or CEO down to
the lab engineer using the product, or any management layer in
between. Each of these positions has their own concerns (pain points)
and the copy must be written to resonate with the issues of the target
reader. And I need to have a full understanding of the messaging of my
client so the resulting white paper will be consistent with their
other collateral.

It has nothing to do with making sure it's coherent. It has everything
to do with hitting marketing objectives. They're paying thousands of
dollars for a white paper. They expect much more than simple
coherence.

--
Brad Whittington
BradWhittington.com