Re: Editorial review board - when to edit?

Subject: Re: Editorial review board - when to edit?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:06:33 -0400

Kieran Sullivan wrote:
> In a word, no.
>
> The authors in our case should be able to put something together themselves
> (as close to camera-ready as is possible) and then pass it on to the review
> board for analysis.

Right!! You're not working from a pile of technical notes, but from
something that's supposed to be publishable research.

When I've edited technical papers intended for publication, they have
been one of two kinds: (1) Needs slight editorial polishing. (2) Hopeless.

When authors of the second kind have sent me their rejected papers for
correction of their "English-language" difficulties, I've had to suggest
that correction of missing facts and unwarranted assumptions is far
beyond the power of an editor.

A good deal of the quality of a paper comes from the initial solid
research and writing abilities of the author. The author's lack of
expertise in English is generally the reason I've been brought in. But
good thinking and good presentation can be initiated in nearly any major
language.

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/