Re: Rates

Subject: Re: Rates
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:54:17 -0700

On 10/23/2010 4:39 PM, Richard Mateosian wrote:
> The rule of thumb for independent vendors is that your target annual
> compensation is approximately 1000 times your hourly billing rate. If she
> wants to stay at her prior $44,000 level, she should get at least $44/hr. An
> offer of $50 has a reasonable chance of getting her there.

That would be true if there was some hint that they would pay $50. They
offered $22, so it sounds like $50 would be a stretch. I think that she
could ask for $50 if the job does not matter, but that asking for $50 if
she needed the job would be risky, since it could slam the door on the
opportunity.

> I'm sure the company would rather pay $50/hr for actual work performed than
> $22/hr plus benefits to a permanent full-time employee. ...RM

I have seen employers decide to do the work themselves when the rate is
too high, but it is possible that an employer would negotiate. When the
rate is high, however, there is a risk of the job offer being
rescinded. This is just another consideration.

Lauren

http://www.doctohelp.com