Index subkeywords out of order in RoboHelp CHM file

Subject: Index subkeywords out of order in RoboHelp CHM file
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:36:55 -0800

Hello TechWhirlers,

I am using RoboHelp HTML X5 to create a CHM file, and I am having an
issue with the ordering of index subkeywords. Note that the index is
binary (a requirement due to merging the file with another CHM file).

When I create a structure like this in the Index Designer:

fruits
- apples, Fuji
--- about
--- cooking with
--- growing
- bananas
--- differences from plantains
--- other random keywords

The structure ALWAYS displays like this in the compiled CHM file:

fruits
- apples, Fuji
- bananas
--- differences from plantains
--- other random keywords
--- about
--- cooking with
--- growing

Notice how all the subkeywords for "apples, Fuji" are bumped down
underneath the bananas subkeywords. After lots of testing, I feel fairly
confident that this behavior only happens when:
1) The output is a .chm file.
2) The index is binary.
3) The subkeyword (whose subkeywords get bumped) contains a comma. (In
this case, "apples, Fuji")
4) The subkeyword is followed by other subkeywords at the same level.
(In this case, "bananas")

This behavior is consistent (i.e. all index entries - old or new - with
this structure behave the same way). I have verified that the index is
correct in other places (WebHelp, index reports, etc.). I've looked at
the HHK file, and I don't see anything obviously wrong - the keywords
and subkeywords seem correctly paired, even though the ordering of those
pairs in the larger list is sometimes jumbled (but that seems to be
normal for the HHK file). I've tried regenerating the project from the
XPJ file (by deleting the CPD file and then opening the XPJ file).

Has anyone out there seen this problem? All suggestions are greatly
appreciated. Note that I hope to cross-post this question on the Adobe
RoboHelp support forum but am having trouble posting at the moment.

Much gratitude for your help,
Amanda

http://www.doctohelp.com