RE: Question about "All caps"

Subject: RE: Question about "All caps"
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Julie Stickler'" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Technical Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:33:00 -0500

Julie Stickler asked,

"... but I still wonder if the term "all caps" instead of "all capitals"
would be confusing to non-native speakers of English?"

If you use the phrase "all caps" instead of "all capitals," then why not
define it at first use. For example, "all caps (all capital letters)," or
have a definition list at the beginning of the document that defines all
those phrases that we speakers of English take for granted, but those
speaking English as a second language might not understand. That way it only
has to be translated once.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com

See Also
Fine Art Photography

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used to create
them." (Albert Einstein)