RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 3

Subject: RE: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 3
From: "Rick_Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:37:38 -0600

Miranda: You don't mention a specific documentation need, so unless help
files are your output, my suggestion would be to use whatever tools they
already have. Microsoft or Open Office is pretty much on every business PC
out there. Why not use that? I just can't imagine the typical engineer or
SME producing decent work with either Frame or Flare. In my experience, they
are very reluctant to learn anything other than the most basic use of any
tool not directly required by their primary responsibility. If you go with
Frame or Flare, you have to set up a workstation usable by anyone at any
time--it's unlikely the company will buy either for everyone. Tell them
straight up that yes, Frame would be a great choice if you have a full-time
writer devoted to document maintenance, but for this limited effort, let's
work with what we have.
Rick