Re: graphics designer needed for logo help

Subject: Re: graphics designer needed for logo help
From: "Dana Worley (MVP/JB)" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:08:51 -0600

I see these kinds of contests more geared to someone like myself when I wanted a logo for my fused glass business. It's something I do on the side; it doesn't take the place of my day job (if it did, we'd be on the streets ;)). I had a great idea of what I wanted in my head, but no means to get it down on paper (I cut and melt glass -- I don't draw). And, I didn't have a lot of money allocated in my "promotions budget" ;).

I ended up going to someone I know who works as a graphic designer. I tried to convey what I wanted -- one of us failed. I have a logo but it is nothing like what I see in my mind's eye. I would have loved to have thrown the idea out there and had several people come back with rough sketches from which I could chose. Well, what I'd really love is to hire a design firm, but that isn't going to happen!

I would point out that the logo design contest is just a new spin on an old concept. People have been entering jingle contests for years, for probably little more than a year's supply of coffee.

/The best part of waking up... /

Dana W.

--
Campbell Scientific, Inc.