RE: STC certification program

Subject: RE: STC certification program
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:17:48 -0400

Having been at my current gig for the past thirteen-plus years,
I'd now be hard pressed (i.e., couldn't do it) to provide
a reference regarding my previous employers.

Ericsson had a policy of moving up-and-comers all over the
globe, and I have no idea which, if any, of my former managers
is even still employed by them - there was also at least one
period of ... er... "contraction" since 1998, in which some
entire divisions went poof.

The place before that was 1990. I'd have to dig up an old
resumé to even recall the name of the company. The chance that
they have anybody who recalls me is less than zero.

I suppose references at my current employer would not be
a problem since STC isn't looking to hire me away. But if I was
looking for another gig, offering the names of my current
bosses might not be the smartest move while I'm still here. :-)

"Dear STC Evaluators,
If you'd care to lay out $25K for one of my company's products,
you can have a copy of my latest documentation project.
I'm not allowed to give it out to non-customers. You'd also
need to have security clearance, sign an NDA, and jump through some
other hoops.

Regarding that reference from a previous employer, I found one -
he's in the cell next to Conrad Black, and two buildings over
from Bernie Madoff. His publicist is screening all contacts of
course. Be persuasive. Drop hints about a movie deal. Say 'hi'
for me.

Looking forward... blah, blah.

- me "

or disclosing it.