RE: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia

Subject: RE: Question for writers in New Zealand and Australia
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
To: reshma pendse <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>, "Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com" <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>, "Techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <Techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:51:30 +0000

Reshma said, "As an Indian, I would not like to see Bangladesh/ India/Pakistan/SriLanka combined in whatever order."

The analogy with AU/NZ fails miserably considering India and Pakistan are pointing nuclear weapons at each other, India liberated Bangladesh from Pakistan, Bangladesh has territorial disputes with India, and the SriLankans can't even get along with themselves. I don't think relations between Australia and New Zealand are quite that acrimonious. Culturally, they are arguably very similar (like, as others have pointed out, Canada and the US).

If I was using an application that lumped in the US with another country, I would assume that the US and the other country share some commonality that is material to the application. Many things are not politically motivated (unless you are a Marxist).

Having said all that, I would be put off if I had to look for the United States under "C" (CAN/USA) in an alphabetically ordered list, but this objection isn't political; it is practical.