Re: OT: LinkedIn Hacked

Subject: Re: OT: LinkedIn Hacked
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:24:34 -0700

On 6/6/2012 4:18 PM, Ken Stitzel wrote:

I work for a company that does this for cloud applications. You sign on
once, say at your company's internal home page, and then you can securely
access a variety of cloud/web applications. But this is a more of a
business/enterprise-level product. (Too bad, because I'd love my own
version at home.)

It was an Amazon cloud product that facilitated the LinkedIn troubles. Is the cloud really safe?

Nick Parlante's advice via Dan Goldstein is good.

I agree.

You can always tell a
family member the suffix or keep it with emergency papers.

Yikes! No. If I felt comfortable enough to give someone (still in this country) my house key, then maybe.

The XKCD cartoon
about password strength (http://xkcd.com/936/) that someone mentioned is
actually a fantastically informative bit of instruction. (Mouse over the
cartoon for extra punch-line. ;)

I like that. Maybe I will just append a site-specific password with XKCD. Hmmm...

But sometimes it's a pain to retype everything. I have a spreadsheet of
username/passwords but keep it in an encrypted file or thumb drive using
True Crypt (http://www.truecrypt.org). Some security concepts seem
daunting, but this is a fairly easy product to use and it's free.

My issue is that I lose papers and files with that information, so a portable app would be nice. Right now I just use browsers that remember passwords, a text file, and "click here if you forgot your password" links. I think I need a better system.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help