RE: If you were making a FAQ...

Subject: RE: If you were making a FAQ...
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, Brathwaitec <brathwaitec -at- cacctus -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:46:44 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: McLauchlan, Kevin
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:31 PM

Thanks. I'm currently using a single page, that has not yet reached what I would consider "very long" - a moving target, to be sure.
My cow-orker also favors this approach because otherwise each separate FAQ topic would have an H1 heading to start, which would make it a new chapter if/when we decided to generate a print/PDF version rather than the usual WebHelp/HTML5-help version.

But another opinion was that separate pages make more sense for scanning in a ToC (as long as the titles are descriptive), and are just as searchable as a giant one-pager.

You can still do a manual TOC on the single page... I've done that in the past where things go especially long. We started with some common general troubleshooting things, then had the lists of the other FAQ items in groups.

The biggest argument for keeping it a single page was always that if it was all on one page, a user may be more likely to try a few things or look around, rather than just go to one page, have their problem/question not addressed, and then throw up their hands and call customer service (which we were trying to prevent).

- V

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help