RE: So now we are content engineers?

Subject: RE: So now we are content engineers?
From: Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 21:25:21 +0000

Peter Neilson wrote:

> In my US state it is technically illegal to call myself any
> kind of engineer unless I have an especially granted engineering
> license, such as steam, electrical or civil.

As I said the last time this topic came up:

a) That isn't true. People titled "Engineer" who develop products for a company, and people titled "Engineer" who do work that is approved by a licensed Professional Engineer, don't need to be licensed Professional Engineers in any US state.

b) If a company bestows other than the obvious title on technical writers because "Technical Writer" doesn't sound important enough, that company doesn't respect its technical writers. If the company chooses for them a title containing the word "Engineer", it doesn't respect its engineers, either.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ