Content optimization software (terminology management)

Subject: Content optimization software (terminology management)
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:55:05 +0000

Hi,

Happy Friday! (And for U.S. types, Happy Halloween!:)

I was curious about folks' experience with "content optimization software" (aka "terminology management software" and a few other names).

I know this has been knocked around a number of times on Techwhirl. A few threads from a couple of years back were somewhat helpful, but the field has advanced and it seems ripe for an update on people's experiences.

The products I've seen mentioned most often are Acrolinx, HyperSTE (from Tedopres), MAXit, and SDL Global Authoring Management System. (The first two appear to integrate with Flare; I don't see anything about the second two.)

Are these the main players in this area? Do you know of any others with equal or better reputation?

>From what I can tell, one of the main benefits of these solutions is that they allow you to prepare your content in an optimum way for translation.

It seems the closer you can bring your content to Simplified Technical English (STE), the better for the translation vendors, and the more you can save on translation, especially if you're translating into multiple languages.

Thanks for any thoughts and insights in this area. I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who've implemented such a solution in their shop: your experiences pro and con, how it went and is going for you, how the writers adapted initially, whether you are experiencing the cost savings you had hoped for -- to the extent you can discuss any of this, of course (not looking for anyone to violate confidentiality).

Thanks again.

Steve

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l