XML Doc Review -- WAS: Documentation collaboration - best practices and tools

Subject: XML Doc Review -- WAS: Documentation collaboration - best practices and tools
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 23:16:10 -0800

I'm branching this off because I think it's a special situation... When documenting in XML, how do you handle doc review? A few possibilities are:
* Generate PDF and deliver review copies
* Generate HTML and post to a "review" site
* Review the raw XML
* Other?

Where I work the situation is very similar to what Lois describes below, only we use DITA. The docs are part of the product source, and they are automatically visible whenever the product gets built. At first I just committed doc changes, and the daily build would get them out for all to see as HTML. Then we switched to a review process using ReviewBoard. Since the docs are in the code repository, I must also have a review before I can commit -- a major bummer for my work flow. Now I generate a PDF for the subset that needs reviewing, and post that via ReviewBoard -- and commit after people say it's ok (which can take a while).

One thing I noticed is, nobody wants to review raw XML. So if your source is XML, what is your work flow?

===============
Lois, thanks for sharing this workflow. We are moving to DITA and we are
going to have to rely on developers and SMEs to contribute much of the
content. So this workflow sounds like a potentially good model for us.

What does your SVN repository structure look like? We are trying to
understand how to set up our git repository. Right now, each dev team has
their own repository that includes a "docs" directory. We're thinking that
we could set up a separate docs project or repository and pull in topics
there using DITA maps to assemble the topics into a guide (or whatever) and
generate the output (this would all be scripted). Very interested to hear
how you handle the assembly and generation part of the workflow.

-Ryan

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l