Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:17:25 -0700

Few people were aware of California Labor Code Â515.5(b)(5) prior to
the filing of Hoenemier v. Sun Microsystems in 2008 and Oracle paying
$5 million to settle the action in 2010.

http://ipbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/08/tech-writers-dilemma-exempt.html

Misclassifying employees as independent contractors is a much bigger
deal, and companies do it all the time, even some of the biggest
companies that have repeatedly been caught and fined. Here's just one
law firm's share of that action:

http://ckslaw.com/class-action-cases

I presume scofflaw companies calculate the risks and conclude that the
long-term cost lower than if they followed the law.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW