Re: Leading and Bleeding Edge?

Subject: Re: Leading and Bleeding Edge?
From: Susan Post <simariepost -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Tom Johnson <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 19:54:48 -0700

Hi Lonie,

I'm a tech writer who lives and works in Colorado Springs. Since you're teaching at the university here, there are a few things
I think you should mention to your students if they're hoping to get a job here after graduation. First, the vast majority of TW jobs in
Colorado Springs are in private companies working government contracts. Most often the tool of choice is Arbortext,
an SGML/XML based editor. Some companies use FrameMaker, but that seems to be the exception to the rule.
I have not seen anyone use Flare, although I think it's the best of the COTS products. And, unbelievably, some still use Word
for their large doc projects. As everyone knows, government is slow to change,
and with one exception, I have not come across any senior level tech writers who've ever even heard of or worked with DITA.

On another topic, your students should be aware that to work the government jobs in this town, you have to get a clearance.
Among the things you're questioned about is illegal drug use. While weed may be legal now in Colorado, it is still against
federal law. So, help your students understand that what they may choose to do recreationally could have long term consequences
for getting a job.

-Susan Post