Re: What do you call the Three Dots?

Subject: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "'TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:26:08 -0700

"Ellipsis button" will be meaningless to the vast majority of end users.

According to Microsoft, what you're describing is a "browse" button.

I would resist using only an ellipsis, especially if there's no tooltip for the button.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 10/16/2017 8:26 AM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

I used to call the three dots element the Ellipsis Button.

However, I see other technical and UX writers are calling this element the More Button.

How say you?

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development |


You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @


What do you call the Three Dots?: From: Cardimon, Craig

Previous by Author: Re: Dealing with price resistance?
Next by Author: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call the Three Dots?
Next by Thread: RE: What do you call the Three Dots?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads