Re: I'm Just Curious. What Do You Think?

Subject: Re: I'm Just Curious. What Do You Think?
From: debora ames <deboraames -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Laurie Marshall <lauriejmarshall -at- att -dot- net>, "TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 05:45:37 +0000

Hi, Laurie. The problem is the manager doesn't want users to be referred to the full helpset, because the plan is to eventually get all of the help onto a digital platform where the help will be shown on top of the UI in the form of flows, brief articles, tooltips, beacons...which can be done immediately; and "additional info" (conceptual, background, related, cross-referenced) one can reach via links inside the articles. So, even though some may see that Help link, others may not because even though it's been suggested to move it to the top of the UI, it hasn't been done.

Based on what I see in survey results for users who want more help, I had suggested that, until the details they are looking for are added to the platform, I would take it upon myself to send them a short email with Here's your answer, along with a screenshot of where it is, via that Help link at the bottom of the UI. Then, if they reach out for more info, I can say Click that Help link, then this topic. That answer is step 6. And by the way, we'll soon have that help set you see integrated directly into the UI in some form. Until then, if you need anything else, this is where the full helpset is. A few minutes, at the most. I did it at my last job when approached by Client/Professional Services, 'cause there was no CS department, just me. And it worked. Soon those questions stopped, 'cause word spread that the documentation was worth looking it.

I'm not Customer Service where I am. I'm the writer who wrote the help, so I know where all the details are. So, I merely suggested doing this as a favor, to help some customers out until we get everything onto the platform. Although it has come down from the top that everyone, no matter what their role is, should make more effort to "go beyond the norm to reach out to our customers", the decision maker would rather ignore my suggestion, don't tell them about that Help link, and just have everybody wait until all info gets on the platform. So, of course, those customers who voiced their need are going to desert our signature app and go to a competitor's.

So, I just wondered what other tech writers (who possibly face situations of their own), thought.
________________________________
Von: "debora ames" <deboraames -at- hotmail -dot- com<mailto:deboraames -at- hotmail -dot- com>>
An: "TechWhirl" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com<mailto:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>>
Betreff: I'm Just Curious. What Do You Think?
Hello, my peers. There's a debate within the Doc team. We have a
digital-adoption platform on which floats a signature application with
some high-level flows and tooltips; and access to brief articles in the
Help center. The flows are rather You can do this here instead of a more
focused This is how you do it. Half of our surveyed customers can easily
intuit what to do; the other half seeks more info (What does this mean?, I
assumed I could do this...; More training, please, Need more
instructions).

Before obtaining the platform, I was tasked to create a full help set (in
Madcap's Flare). So, I created detailed instructions and clearly
marked-and captioned screenshots (as directed by the product managers) of
the entire application. And I'm a conversational writer, so it's really
easy to understand (plus I user-test, then write). However, this helpset
info hasn't yet been moved to the platform in the form of videos,
knowledge bases, HTML pages, PDFs, micro content...all the forms it can be
added to the platform. It'll be about 4-6 months to get that done, when
given the OK to start.

BTW, this helpset can be accessed via a Help link (about 8pt. Arial) at
the bottom edge of the UI. (if you squinch, you may see it). But, this is
the difference of opinions:

* One opinion is: For those customers who want those answers, don't
just tell them Click the link. Make it simple, and send them a quick email
stating This is what you're looking for..., shows a screenshot of step 6.
(or steps 6-8!) of ABC procedure, and also includes those clearly
marked-and-captioned screenshots. IF they contact you and want to know
more, say Click that Help link at the bottom of your screen, then "ABC"
topic in the TOC you'll immediately see. Then say, Eventually, we'll have
all that information added to the platform. But, in the meantime, you can
find any other info you need, if you want, in that helpset.
* The other is: Why bother with that when we're gonna eventually get
everything onto the platform? Don't you know we're aiming for "Out with
the old and in with the NEW?!" Tired of hearing about it. Get with the
program!

Since our customer base are legal/medical/governmental/regulatory/regular
folks online-faxing documents that need to be signed and returned in a
timely manner—and the very real company goal is to retain and increase
this base for ROI-proven reasons (so you don't want them to get frustrated
and cancel out of the initial free, or paid, subscription), what do you
think? (I'm of opinion #1, 'cause on a prior job at a company that
developed contract-management software for commercial real-estate
enterprises, Client/Professional Services would come to me with those same
questions from particular customers who would call in 'cause they couldn't
find or figure something out. I would send that exact email to the rep,
who would forward it immediately to the customer. Greatly! appreciated by
all.)
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net -dot- <mailto:e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net -dot- >

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- <mailto:admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- > Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lauriejmarshall -at- att -dot- net -dot- <mailto:lauriejmarshall -at- att -dot- net -dot- >