Anchoring WP figure boxes

Subject: Anchoring WP figure boxes
From: Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- AUTOTROL -dot- CUC -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 00:49:55 MDT

I'm asking this question for a friend. He's a tech writer, working
out of his house, and he has to finish the 2nd draft (the "90%" version)
of a big training manual this week. (He has a modem and a fax - not a
fax modem, but that's another thread. :-^) )

He's having a problem with WordPerfect figure boxes. He says,

"I'm positive that WordPerfect, with all its power, can do
what I want to do. But I've torn the manual apart and do
you think I can find the answer? No-oo-oo."

I don't know much myself about WP, but I offered to pose the problem
to the techwr list - i.e., you. Hopefully, the solution is blindingly
obvious to someone. Just in case it is, I'd like to ask you to send
replies to me, not to the techwr list, if you'll trust me to summarize
the replies for everyone's benefit.

Here's what he wants to do, and what's actually happening.

WANT TO: Place figure box outlines in a text document for MANUAL
pasteup of graphics. (Manual literally means by hand. He
just wants a blank figure box with a caption, and he'll
paste a picture on the hardcopy later.)

Since he will be editing the document after he has inserted
the figure box, the box must be anchored to a paragraph or
a character so that it will flow with the text it's supposed
to be illustrating.

THE PROBLEM: It doesn't flow. The figure box stays anchored to
the page, no matter where the text goes. As he put it:

"If I have text wrap turned on, and delete a page of text
above the figure box, the text below the box moves up one
page, thereby disassociating the figure box from the original
anchor paragraph.

"(If text wrap is off, the advancing text goes right through
the figure box.)"

There are three options for anchoring figure boxes: anchor to page,
paragraph, or character. My friend says no matter which he chooses, the
figure box seems to stay on the same page - at least, it gets separated
pretty far from its anchor point.

By the way, here's the hw/sw configuration:
Computer: Mitsubishi 486
OS: DOS (version unknown)
Window environment: Windows 3.1
WP version: WordPerfect 5.2 for Windows

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,
| "You'll get more excellence if you don't |
Ken d'Albenas | spend all your time chasing perfection." |
(-:: | |
kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca | - A. Non. |