Re: Re[2]: one-person

Subject: Re: Re[2]: one-person
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 22:12:03 EDT

Re comments made by Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>

> Ultimately, I agree with Len: a job is often what you make of it
> (though what you make *from* it plays a role! :), and each scenario
> has its advantages and disadvantages for any particular person.
> We're all different and so are our companies.

I also agree. My first tech writing job was with a Pubs group with a
large staff of writers who specialized in various types of documentation,
editors, graphic artists, production staff, several layers of mgmt., etc.
Since I'm a "brain-picker" by nature, it was a great place to learn and
sharpen my skills. I had opportunities to develop documentation for both
hardware and software, create online help and online documentation, use
my instructional design & course development skills, develop multimedia
presentations and tutorials, and (most of all) learn how to be a good
team player. The years I spent with that company provided the basic
foundation that allowed me to build my own business when my husband
accepted a new position and we relocated to another state.

The first year or two on my own were real eye-openers. I learned other
operating systems and many other things that I wouldn't have learned in
my previous position. Each assignment I took broadened my skills and
gave me more confidence. Some of the groups I worked with were quite
small (compared to my previous job), and I learned even more about team
dynamics. Admittedly, some of that learning was not pleasant, but it
*was* ultimately good; because of those experiences, I'll know how to
avoid potential problems if I'm ever in similar situations.

Now I'm a dept. of one and, oddly enough, I like it just as much or more
than being part of a large dept. I knew when I took this assignment that
it had the potential to be either a very bad experience or a very good
one. It was a very bad experience for the tech writer who had the job
before me, and I wondered whether I would fare any better. Fortunately,
I have. I like the autonomy and the professional respect I receive from
others in the organization. I work hard, but I can't claim to be over-
worked, and it's satisfying to know that I get the credit (so far, there
hasn't been any blame!) for the documentation and training I produce.

As both Len and Joe said, the job is what you make of it. There are
lots of opportunities and often a great deal of creative freedom in
large organizations. However, when you're a dept. of one, you can't
depend upon anyone else to provide you with opportunities so you have
to have the initiative to go after them yourself. And, if you need
some support, you subscribe to conference lists such as this one, join
STC, and develop your networking skills.

Lori Lathrop
Lathrop Media Services
P.O. Box 808
Georgetown, CO
INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com