Warnings, Cautions & Notes: Unclassified

Subject: Warnings, Cautions & Notes: Unclassified
From: "S.North" <north -at- HGL -dot- SIGNAAL -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 11:06:42 +0100

As a member of the Dutch national standards commission for user (consumer)
documentation, this very topic caused me/us a lot of problems. We wanted to
find Dutch language equivalents based on the international/european standards
but could find no concensus of agreement. As an englishman, I could not advise
on the choice of language, but I did a lot of research into the english
versions from a wide range of sources and was able to explain some of the more
esoteric nuances.

Ultimately, we adopted a four-tier system (it wouldn't make much sense
translating it) that was based on the Department of Defense ideas (see
MIL-HDBK-63038-1A Technical Manual Writing Handbook):

Warning: conditions, practices or procedures which must be observed to
avoid personal injury or loss of life.

Caution: conditions, practices or procedures which must be observed to
avoid damage to equipment, destruction of equipment or long-term health hazard.

Note: essential information of special importance, interest, or aid in job
performance which should be remembered, will facilitate decision, would
otherwise be hard to find, or would otherwise be hard to incorporate.

If you (or anyone else) are interested I can e-mail (or post) a complete list
of all the standards I surveyed, but it would take me a couple of days. Of
most interest is the new draft (I don't think it has been published yet since
I only have the proof copy I was given for review) of ISO Guide 37
Instructions for use of products of consumer interest. However, _very_
thorough coverage is given in a new European Standard called Safety of
machinery - indicating, marking and actuating principles. This standard covers
everything: visual, audible and tactile signals. Unfortunately, I only have a
committee draft I received for comment (technical committee No. 44X) and am
not sure under what standard number is will be published. I _could_
(unofficially) send you a photocopy if you are really interested.

----

I did come across a _very_ interesting research report called "Product
information for the prevention of accidents" published by the dutch institute
for consumer research (SWOKA). They carried out an extensive inquiry into
warnings and cautions published in the documentation for a) ladders and steps,
b) powered lawn mowers and c) electric stapling machines. This included an
investigation into the role of the documentation in previous accidents.

The results were extremely interesting (albeit in Dutch). Basically, the
conclusions were: 1. include warning information TWICE; once in a separate
safety section and once where the danger arises. 2. Do not accentuate the
information (bold, capitals, etc.) this is usually used by readers as a key
that says "skip this information".... !! 3. Explain the cause, reason and
consequences of the danger. 4. Most people do not read the documentation, put
warnings and cautions on the product itself whenever possible.

The report includes a lot of statistics that might be helpful and an extensive
(mostly english) literature list. You can obtain a copy from:

Institute for Consumer Research
Koningin Emmakade 192-195
2518 JP 's-Gravenhage
The Netherlands

tel +31-70-3469225
fax +31-70-3603963

or, if that fails, contact me and I'll try and scrounge you a copy (I think I
might have a 'spare' at home).

Hope this helps.

================= Angular momentum makes the world go round.
Simon North FISTC Quality Group, Software R&D
north -at- hgl -dot- signaal -dot- nl Hollandse Signaalapparaten BV