Re: Warnings and Cautions, research project

Subject: Re: Warnings and Cautions, research project
From: nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 09:11:57 MST

A good resource is "Procedure Writing principles and practices" by D.
Wieringa, C. Moore, and V. Barnes, Battelle Press, 1993 (tel.
1-800-451-3543). The chapter, "Warnings, Cautions, and Notes" confirms
Rose Norman's definitions for the same. It also discusses why actions
should not appear in warnings and cautions; that warnings and cautions must
identify a single hazard, and why not to include action items in cautions.
The book includes an extensive bibliographic reference on procedure
writing.

>Warnings and cautions in farm equipment product literature are
>the subject of a research project one of my graduate students is
>doing this term for a client who writes manuals for a business in
>Alabama. She is seeking information and research on product
>safety warnings for machinery, specifically:

>* guidelines for preparing and evaluating safety warnings
> - in manuals
> - on products

>* ANSI and other standards (she has one ANSI standard)

>* published or unpublished papers on the subject or related subjects

... I also have several conference papers from people
>working with procedures for the nuclear power industry. These
>last make the following distinction in terminology:

>* Warning - concerns matters that may lead to bodily harm

>* Caution - concerns matters that may harm the product or data

>* Note - concerns non-warning/caution material; usage similar to
> "footnote"

>Rose Norman
>Associate Professor of English and
>Director of Business and Technical Writing
>English Department
>University of Alabama in Huntsville
>Huntsville, AL 35899

>Phone: 205/895-6320 Fax: 205/895-6949
>Internet: UAHRXN01 -at- ASNUAH -dot- ASN -dot- NET Bitnet: RNORMAN -at- UAHVAX1
> "Conventionality is not morality." Charlotte Bronte

Nancy Burns
National Solar Observatory, Tucson, AZ
nburns -at- noao -dot- edu