Re: Science Writing

Subject: Re: Science Writing
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 10:54:00 EST

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: smithe -at- Sdsc -dot- Edu at ARPA
Date: 11/13/93 1:22AM
To: bonni graham at Enfin-SD
Hi netters -- just got this from a pal o' mine. Sorry it's so late to
the topic, but she was out of town for a while... Enjoy.

Bonni

Author: smithe -at- Sdsc -dot- Edu at ARPA
Date: 11/13/93 1:22 AM

From: smithe -at- Sdsc -dot- Edu
SMTP-CCMail translator Ver: acm 2.73 8/18/93
----------

There are some really good college science writing programs; the first 2
that come to mind are UC Santa Cruz and Bowling Green. That's a good way to
get training in the field. Most of the science writers I have talked to
have come into their jobs through some combination of English/journalism
and some scientific field, such as biology, pre-med, physics, engineering,
etc. It's important to have a strong technical background, as well as
strong writing and editing skills--that's what makes us unique.

I, myself, majored in scientific & technical communication at the
University of Washington, which allowed me to develop technical
communication skills while developing a background in general physical
sciences with an emphasis on atmospheric science. Computer courses were
also required. I'm now pursuing a career in scientific communication by
writing and editing documentation for the San Diego Supercomputer Center, a
national laboratory for computational science.

Another main component is actual experience. To be good, you need to jump
in and start doing it. Learning on the job--through internships, etc.--is
essential.

STC has just started up a new PIC in scientific communication. This is, in
my opinion, an excellent resource. Some cities also have science writers'
groups, and then there are association such as the biology editors'
association. Join groups, find some mentors, and challenge yourself to keep
learning and developing your skills. And consider continued education, in
any area, which will expand your knowledge and understanding of new topics.

--just a few ideas to get you started!
smithe -at- sdsc -dot- edu