Re: mainframe OS term needed

Subject: Re: mainframe OS term needed
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1993 15:35:08 PST

Carl Gotlieb wrote:
> ... I need to come up with a generic term for the
> so-called "operating systems" that run under the MVS and VM operating systems,
> such as TSO, IMS, and CMS.

The IBM Dictionary of Computing says:

TSO is "an operating system option..."

IMS is "a database/data communication (DB/DC) system..."

CMS is "a virtual machine operating system..."

How about calling them "systems" or "system components"?

If you want me to ask some of the mainframe writers on Monday, send me
an E-mail.

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134