Writing Aggravations (was: Homophones)

Subject: Writing Aggravations (was: Homophones)
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 09:01:00 EST

One of my anti-favorites is the misplaced apostrophe:

"Shoe's sold here." on a forty-foot sign (or whereever). AAAAAAHHHHH! I've
actually gone in and inquired about what item belonging to the shoe is being
sold...

One of my favorite funnies is the sign I saw a couple of Christmases (?) ago on
a tree lot:

"Santa Clause Here Saturday!"

I figured maybe he was going to bring dictionaries and stuff.

Ah well, at least we can laugh about it, eh?

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | Never tell people how to
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | do things. Tell them
President, San Diego STC | what to do and they will
| surprise you with their
NOTE: apparently my email address needs | ingenuity.
to be typed exactly as it appears here, |
punctuation and all, or the system gets | --George Patton
upset. |