Re: effete greco-romans

Subject: Re: effete greco-romans
From: Tracey Showalter <tshowalt -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 15:18:39 -0500

Reply to: RE>effete greco-romans
don wrote:

>Ah, well, _clearly_ ".gif" is of Germanic etymology and should be
>pronounced the way a 4-year-old pronounces things on birthdays and at
>Christmas and/or Hanuka. See, the Franks and Huns, Alans, and other
>tribes, heard how all those effete greco-romans talked and decided to do
>it differently, kind of like Ross Perot.

This reminds me of the gentleman who wrote a treatise on simplified [read:
corrected ... ha!] English spelling. Part of his theory included the notion
that the Roman trend towards pronouncing |g| as |k| and substituting "C" for
"G" implied a loss of masculinity. The "C" is "weaker", lacking the bite (and
thus masculinity) of the "G" (see that cute little overbite in the "G"?).

>I am not making this up.

Although Don's disclaimer sounds like "this is not a chain letter", I'll repeat
it here: I am not making this up.

Tracey Showalter
tshowalt -at- sctcorp -dot- com