Commercial At

Subject: Commercial At
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 11:46:27 IST

Strudel! I heard that from one of our Israeli instructors,
but I'd forgotten. Do you have any idea where it came from?

** Sure. The symbol looks like a cross-section of a strudel.
Some folks not deeply imprinted with the Latin alphabet don't
even notice the "a" inside and write the symbol as a simple spiral.

The commonly used Dutch word for @ is apestaart, which
translates to monkey's tail. Isn't that charming, as well
as descriptive?

** Or maybe "strudel" is a mistranslation of "apestaart"
(apples-tart?)
Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917