While we're on the topic of words . . .

Subject: While we're on the topic of words . . .
From: Gregory=Kushmerek%AcctgMed%FIN -at- HUMRES-SERVER -dot- NET -dot- TUFTS -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 09:07:57 EST

This is more a peeve than anything else: does anyone feel as I
do about the word "pro-active?"

I don't like that word; it's redundant for one, and the people I see
use it are usually trying to sound more important than they really
are.

After all, doesn't the use of "pro" in front of "active" somehow
assume that "active" does convey its meaning well enough? Does
this mean that by saying "I'm taking an active stance," someone
may think I'm sitting on my butt?

Shouldn't a user of 'pro-active' use 're-pro-active' as its antonym?
Just using 'reactive' may not be clear enough!

--gk