Re: Defining Terms (Was Re: Judging manuals (by themselves))

Subject: Re: Defining Terms (Was Re: Judging manuals (by themselves))
From: Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 10:53:00 EST

Steve notes:
"I think you missed the point of my "tangent" comment. I'm not talking
about STC competitions at all, I'm asking what are the commonly accepted
definitions of reference/user guide/tutorial/quick-reference/workbook/
etc."

Actually, I didn't, because in my first pararaph, I wasn't talking
about competitions either. You asked what I use as commonly accepted
definitions. The STC comp. guidelines are the closest I've seen to a
standard definition. They're the definition I commonly accept.
They're commonly accepted by most of the people I deal with.
Therefore, from my point of view, I answered your question, then went
off on my own tanget. I just forgot to turn on the "new subject"
light. :)

It is a valid question. We as a profession have got to come up with
some kind of standard (open to reasonable variation, of course),
because we're confusing the h*** out of our users.

I think most people view tutorial as a step-by-step, hand-holding walk
through the product, and look to a User's Guide for more theoretical,
when-to-use issues. At least that's been my experience. Yet often,
that's not how they're labeled, if they're even labeled at all.

I don't know the answer offhand to how to solve this -- time for more
brainstorming?

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer | Most software is run by
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | confused users acting on
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | incorrect and incomplete
President, San Diego STC | information, doing things
| the designer never expected.
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Paul Heckel, quoted
punctuation and all, or the system gets | by William Horton
upset. |