Multiple indexes

Subject: Multiple indexes
From: Jonathan Price <jonprice -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 15:45:13 EST

Yea, I hate multiple indexes too. On the other hand, I like an index with
hierarchy-two to four levels. As we move to indexes online, in which each
reference is a button linked to a single location in the hypertext
environment, we are forced to rewrite each entry to reveal why it's different
from the others. That's a challenge. It often forces the indexer to
recognize that, really, this is a dud entry; or, actually, it's in the wrong
place. I think online indexes are going to be forced to be better (more
thought out, better written, more comprehensible) than text ones.