on-line help/book review

Subject: on-line help/book review
From: nash -at- MUDSHARK -dot- SUNQUEST -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 12:05:02 PDT

NOTE: This is not an advertisement, 'though it probably sounds like one.
For colleagues looking for ancillary inspiration, guidance, theory, and
how-to-do-it instructions regarding your on-line help, hypermedia, hypertext,
multimedia projects, allow me to recommend Mapping Hypertext by Robert E. Horn.

I was lucky to attend the Hypermedia Conference in Seattle last November.
Robert Horn was one of the presenters. He spent some time getting everyone up
to speed on the concept of information metastructures and then jumped into a
three-hour rant on the analysis, linkage, and display of knowledge for on-line
text. It was a pretty good rant, too. If you're doing this sort of work, you
might want to peek at what Mr. Horn has to say. It goes particulary well with
the following works:

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, and Envisioning Information,
both by Edward R. Tufte

Designing & Writing Online Documentation, by William Horton

The Horn book is available directly from the publisher, The Lexington
Institute, 80 Marret Road, Lexington, MA 02173.

Good luck and remember: A little PBS can be a dangerous thing.