Re: Functional vs temporal resumes

Subject: Re: Functional vs temporal resumes
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 16:08:47 EST

Like Eric, I have used a functional resume for the past 6 years. It seems to
have gotten good response. I, too, include a traditional list of employers and
dates, but want to highlight the skills I think make me unique and show how my
experience backs me up.

If I were reviewing resumes (which I have done only once, when hiring a
replacement), I would prefer functional. I think it requires more
organizational skills, and is more personal (i.e., the person's self image can
come across more clearly).

As far as a functional resume hiding problems, I presume that means skipping
around jobs. Whether or not that's a "problem" seems up for debate. In these
days of companies rapidly going up (hiring) and down (laying off), and two-
career families (moving for a spouse's job), a checkered past doesn't
necessarily mean problems, it seems to me.

Just my $.02...Karla

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI-PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com