Re: Repetition in hypertext

Subject: Re: Repetition in hypertext
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 09:04:14 +0800

John Endicott <jendicot -at- nyx -dot- cs -dot- du -dot- edu> wrote

>I'd like to somehow signal the "unique" information on each [Winhelp] card,
>so userswho have already read 90 percent of the info can find the remaining
>10%without a lot of hunting. Any ideas on how I can highlight this
>information?

Hi John

In the context of hypertext, where there are many routes to each page of
information, you would need a dynamic system to determine which information is
new to *this* reader *this* time around. If you arrive at ABC from ABD, then
C isnew, but if you arrive from ACD, then D is new. Winhelp provides a history
of the path, but I'm not aware of any way to control the runtime coloration or
icons based on this history. This sounds like an 'opportunity' for the
Winhelp list <WINHLP-L%HUMBER.Bitnet>.

David