Re: Smiley Punctuation

Subject: Re: Smiley Punctuation
From: Ray Bruman x2325 <rbruman -at- TURING -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 18:48:41 PDT

> Karla McMaster writes:

> >>Personally, I feel that if what I write
> >>needs an emoticon to defuse or explain it, then I probably
[stuff deleted]

and Sue writes:

> Ah, but novels ARE full of adverbs, Sue said informatively. That means that
> in a novel, one knows how something was said because of another word--Aren't
> you cute, he said sarcastically; aren't you cute, he said fondly; aren't you
> cute, he said disinterestedly.

> And how do you think I meant this? Guess! suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com

and I write:

Yes, and even novels make an effort to reproduce the meaning of SPEECH.

From the novel "Onionhead" comes a favorite passage..

YOU don't have to marry Stella.
You DON'T have to marry Stella.
You don't HAVE to marry Stella.
You don't have to MARRY Stella.
You don't have to marry STELLA.

... and this only begins to hint at the limitations of E-mail rhetoric.

Ray Bruman Cogito, ergo remuneror.
Raynet Corp.
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com I think, therefore I am paid.
415-688-2325