Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 15:41:04 PDT

Unfortunately, I can't disagree with Rick. At an STC chapter meeting
in SF earlier this year where we got a presentation about ISO, they
person said that you can produce total garbage, so long as it's
documented that you're producing garbage.

More unfortunately, the European Union countries are requiring
companies to be ISO certified before they can do business there,
at least with the government. For many companies, international
sales are a significant part of the bottom line, and I suppose
the cost of ISO is looked on as a worthwhile investment.

But there's not the process in the world that will make what I
write any more useful to my end users. I'm too damn proud of my work
to allow anything less than the best I can do.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
techwriter -at- aol -dot- com 38-20! Yeah!
74170,2462 -at- compuserve -dot- com Go Huskies!